@sandradavies
Active 1 day, 2 hours ago-
Squidge replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago
Thanks Philippa – that does all make sense! Sounds like I need to now combine the stakes of the challenge with the overall feel…
The inciting incident isn’t actually that she can/can’t make an orb; it’s the fact that a little later, she decides to practise in secret, drains her Power and needs to refill… and at THAT point, discovers something…[Read more]
-
Squidge started the topic The joy of prompts in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Had a great night at NIBS this week, our little creative writing group in Nanpantan. As I am Chief Prompt Finder, it got me thinking about what I prefer to use and why – and what kind of prompts work best in group settings.
So I’ve mused a bit on the Scribbles; you can see what prompts we used this week, and I’ve also posted a piece I wrote using…[Read more]
-
Jules posted an update 8 years ago
@janette Love the competition entry! Whimsical and fun. I am now imagining dancing pens 🙂
-
-
Janette replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Dancing With Words
Humble, that’s how my kind are deemed: the humble pen.
I don’t know why, since, led by the right hand, we’re capable of causing wars. Stopping them. Uniting distant hearts or breaking them apart. Telling tales that stir a million souls across a thousand years without pictures, smell or sound.
I aspire to that. Which is why,…[Read more] -
Debi Alper replied to the topic A Brief History of York Festivals in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
I’ve blogged about FoW but it’s pix only, I’m afraid, and they’re in an odd order but I don’t have time to faff. What an awesome weekend for Denizens it was. We raised several glasses (each) to absent friends.
-
-
-
Jonathan replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
The Power Word
Jeff stood by the rounded tree, whose branches were starting to sag. The leaves had turned a papery shade of brown, the trunk would whiten next, and then it would be only him and the dead earth. Not even a microbe.
Clouds topped the blue air. Did he regret having used the power word? What had possessed him? Jealousy, he supposed.…[Read more]
-
-
Amanda Berriman (Skylark) replied to the topic Receiving an email headed 'Offer of Representation'…. in the forum Podium 8 years ago
So great to read this! CONGRATULATIONS! You definitely still need an agent regardless of interest from publishers – they do all the tricky stuff like negotiating contracts and mine has been so brilliant anytime I’ve asked her about the bits of publishing I’m not so sure about. Plus she’s helped me stand my ground a couple of times on things I…[Read more]
-
Raine posted an update 8 years ago
Mulling monthly comp ideas and realising that I’m better at dismal endings than I am hopeful beginnings…
-
Every ending is a new beginning! *grins like she’s in an inspirational photo*
-
I have an idea but I think even as a new beginning it might be a bit depressing!
-
-
Now I know that’s not true, Raine!
-
You can have a new beginning that will inevitably lead to a dismal ending. Just take out the ending.
i.e. “She fell in love with him the moment she saw him singing along during Mamma Mia 2.”-
I too seem unable to think of anything except gloomy endings
-
Mad, that’s exquisite!
-
@janeshuff, suggestion for next month’s challenge perhaps! 🙂
-
I’ve taken a morning off to write something – the first one unsettled me so much, I was determined to make it uplifting, regardless of crap-factor.
-
-
-
-
-
Philippa East replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago
Hi Squidge!
How lovely to read about Tilda, and dive into the world you have created. I really like the idea of Tilda being so aware of the Power inside her – literally feeling it – but now grappling to translate this into the creation of the orb. It’s quite symbolic in a way!
Overall, this second version seems tighter than the first, so well…[Read more]
-
-
Squidge replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
At the very least, it needs a trigger warning…
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Festival of Writing news…. in the forum Podium 8 years ago
Thanks, Janette. Poop, sorry I missed you at York – I still haven’t matched up real life faces! I hope all is well with you and your writing and you had a successful Festival. x
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Might I request that the warning above be amended to highlight the offensive nature of the post? Thanks.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago
This is wonderful news CJ. Important step on the road – I suspect the fact is has taken a long time is a good thing. Beware the quickly sorted contract.
- Load More
