Sandra

  • Squidge replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    Thanks Jonathan, Raine – more food for thought!

    Glad you’d read on, though… 😉

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago

    Well that’s just unreasonable WB 😉

    Jacques Anquetil, first five time winner of the Tour de France was once asked what advice he’d give aspiring bike racers. ‘Ride a bike, ride a bike, ride a bike’ was his answer. The equivalent for aspiring writers could be ‘write a book, write a book, write a book’.

  • Debi Alper replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago

    *air punch* Yes, publishing moves at a glacial pace but this is a fabulous stride forwards – at last. I saw your lovely agent at York, though we didn’t have a chance to chat. I do know how much she adores you though. (Don’t we all!) xx

  • Philippa East replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago

    ps – I’d love to catch up on your story of getting an agent, if you fancied sharing? I know there are so many different paths and I’d love to hear what yours was like x

  • Philippa East replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago

    Oh my goodness, this is brilliant! Congratulations to you! (And to your agent)

  • JaneShuff replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago

    Huge congratulations CJ. Faberoo

  • Raine replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago

    I am clearly stealing all my tips from people who can put them much better than I can!!

  • Daedalus posted an update 8 years ago

    Don’t forget to have a look in the ‘competitions etc’ thread in the main forum, people – lots of opportunities for competitions and publication, and the first monthly Den competition. No entries yet, but still two and a half weeks to post something on the theme of New…[Read more]

  • Thanks GG, it’s a great idea isn’t it? I don’t have any control over the deadline unfortunately, it’s not a zine I have any involvement in. But people have another two weeks to submit something, and as it’s for 250 word flash, there should be a bit of time to get something in

  • Raine replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago

    YAAAAS!! Actual real definite contracts are the best sort of contracts. SO much well done! Break out the cake! 🙂

  • KazG replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago

    WHOOP! that’s so exciting. Congratulations CJ.

  • Pinkbelt replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago

    Nice one CJ. I’ll look forward to it.

  • Jules replied to the topic Contract finally sorted! in the forum Podium 8 years ago

    Brilliant CJ. I’m so looking forward to reading it. And yes the legal wranglings always take a long time – especially with US, possibly the most letigious country in the wor;ld! Congratulations – really stoked for you 🙂

  • KazG replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago

    Great idea, Mad, and some good ones here.

    Hmm. Steven King said something similar to Raine’s ‘Write the first draft for yourself, edit for your readers’ with his ‘Write the first draft with the door closed, the second draft with the door open’ which has always stuck with me.

    I also found the discipline of writing something, anything, for at…[Read more]

  • John S Alty replied to the topic Memories in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    Thanks Lorraine. To some extent you’re reading my mind! I’ve changed the opening, she’s on a three day pass, we’re down to one policeman, added sensory bits, edited, edited. Your comments are very helpful. I think I might just put it on my website.

  • Raine posted an update 8 years ago

    Am I right in hoping that if I click ‘Favourite’ (alright, Favorite, but really, yick) at the top of a forum topic I’ve commented on, then any replies/further comments will appear in my notifications? *fingers crossed cos otherwise email notifications, which also yick*

    • Not sure… I think so, but in your own profile there’s a tab for favourites so they should be easy to find inc replies. Tell you what, I’ll favourite this, then if someone else replies I’ll let you know if it appears in my fees

      • Jules replied 8 years ago

        They will appear in the favourites filter – click favourites in the sub-menu and it gives you a list of all the posts you’re following 🙂

        • Raine replied 8 years ago

          Ta, they aren’t showing up yet, but I’ll check again later. Next question. What does the ‘Subscribe’ option do?

          • Jules replied 8 years ago

            That will ensure that you receive notifications that a post has been added to or commented on. Depending on how you’ve configured your email, you may get an email notification too.

            • Raine replied 8 years ago

              AHA! That’s the wee beastie I wanted! Fanks Admin wonder-bug.

            • Raine replied 8 years ago

              AND I have just spotted the filter dropdown at the top of the activity page that allows me to just see ‘main wall’ posts rather than all the forum updates as well. Oh happy days.

  • Raine replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago

    Good idea, Mad.
    Umm. One I heard that I think made sense in terms of the editing process was ‘Write the first draft for yourself, edit for your readers.’

    Also, Find the theme of your story. Themes tie characters, plots and subplots together.

    Also (Although I am rubbish at doing this), when finishing for the day, stop in the middle of a scene,…[Read more]

  • Raine replied to the topic Memories in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    This is brilliant, John. So much the opposite of where I expected it to go at the opening! I love her poise with the police – it adds such an element of shiver-factor.

    I agree with others that a light dusting of other sensory details would help make the thing more potent, but I like the easy, matter of fact voice so don’t lose that.

    One thing…[Read more]

  • Raine replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    THis is great Squidge, love the immediate dive into her PoV, her frustrations and doubts. My only two thoughts are …
    – some of the descriptive paragraph (Tilda gritted her teeth…) might be worth trimming. It’s a chunk of … background I guess, that perhaps needs only a hint here, with more details as you go on?
    – and, I think someone else…[Read more]

  • Load More