@seagreen
Active 7 hours, 35 minutes ago-
Seagreen replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 hours, 45 minutes ago
337 words (inc. the title) and I managed ‘mood’ and ‘uniform’
FREEDOM JONES; AN INTRODUCTION
He remembered a time when he had been ordinary; when he had played with the other boys. A time when he ran, fought, laughed, and scraped knees with the other boys. When they had climbed trees and stolen fruit and snatched apple scones from the kitchen…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 days, 11 hours ago
Thank you for indulging me with these entries and apologies once again for being so late with the results.
@Jill: you gave me exactly what I asked for – an insight into the mind of a killer – in this case, a victim of domestic abuse who was finally pushed too far. Your words paint a quiet picture of an unseen tempest.
@Sandra: Your words pai…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 days, 20 hours ago
Apologies, all. Just home from work and, while the mind is willing, the body is most definitely wrecked. It’ll be tomorrow before I get a chance to read the entries.
-
Seagreen started the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
I don’t know if anyone remembers one of FergC’s challenges on the Cloud when he asked us to get in touch with our darker writing selves and be the villain? I hated it. Sobbed as I wrote, in fact, but my goodness I was stretched by it and just a tiny bit shocked at how wicked I could be.
I hope to stretch you now…
There’s a body.
Whether…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
Thanks for the prompt Libby. It seems to have been an age since I tested the writerly muscles…
And I second Jill’s call for virtual medals all round! 🙂
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
The Space Between the Notes (334 words inc title)
It was more than a holiday; it was a ritual, starting with the drive north. The choice of music; what the kids called my soppy stuff – Savage Garden, Beautiful South and sshhh, don’t say it out loud, Barry Manilow – and the way I always packed the car with a hundred and one things I wou…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
What an experience! I’m just glad you’re home and on the mend. Credit to you for maintaining a positive mindset and to Mrs Ath for being amazing!
Not sure if you know, Ath, but positive feedback for specific nurses ‘Natalie did this, Esme supported me with that’ can be used for their revalidation. Just saying. ☺️
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Damn! It messed with my formatting 🙁
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
The madness is all mine for thinking I could do this!
All words taken from Rod Judkins’ The Art of Creative Thinking.
DRIBBLES AND SPATTERS
Inner demons
chisel
creative confidence
Ideas so strange
wither.
Radiate defiance
Salvage mistakes with freedom
and
transform the message
Come alive!
-
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
Thank you for indulging my ‘tearful’ requirement and apologies again for being so late with the results.
@Jill – Good to see you back, and thank you for diving back into the monthly comp with your tale of Lucia. I confess to knowing nothing about Vestal Virgins, but your entry has definitely piqued my curiosity and I’m sure there’s a much larger…[Read more]
-
Congratulations, Sandra and fellow entrants. All excellent stories which touched me and brought tears to my eyes. Sandra’s image resonated with my own recent experience and sadness as my husband had to go home alone for nine days, tired and worried when I was in hospital. I chose not to write a personal story as enough personal emotions w…[Read more]
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
Foolishly, I thought I’d have time on my nightshift to absorb the stories and choose a winner. Ha! The salt mine overlords had other ideas.
I promise it’ll be done today…
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
As you know, Sandra, this prompt came about following the loss of one of our cardiologists and my subsequent inability to write anything meaningful in his Book of Condolences. Faced with Imposter Syndrome because I didn’t know him as well as some of the other nurses, I simply invalidated my feelings and wrote a stiff little sentence that had n…[Read more]
-
Seagreen started the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
For July, I’d like to be enthralled by your creative endeavours inspired by the following quote:
‘There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.’ Washington Irving…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
I won’t lie, I logged in last night to find out what the prompt for this month’s comp was going to be, little expecting – in the face of the other entries – that I would be setting it 😂
So thanks, Ath, for the comp and for that WTH!? moment when I got home from work 😃 and thanks to everyone else for inspiring me to try in the first place. I’l…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Well, that’s an unexpected turn of events!
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
UNTITLED (149 WORDS)
Contains an obscenity
Today is the last day I will beat myself up over this.
It’s the last day I’ll say sorry for hurting you, as if I haven’t said sorry a million times already.
It’s the last time I’ll try to make amends for something you will never forgive me for.
It’s the last time I’ll go to bed and wonder how di…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Congratulations, Ath. Delightfully creative tale!
Thanks to Janette for the prompt and to Sandra, Libby and Terrie for a selection of wonderful stories x -
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Princes Street, Edinburgh, in early May. The morning is bright, the sky opaque with a promise of blue, and there’s enough chill in the air to warrant the cardigan I left on the back of the chair in the kitchen. I’m walking on the sunny side of the street – the side across from the gardens – with measured, purposeful steps as I head to a train…[Read more]
- Load More
