-
John S Alty replied to the topic New Book Release: Revolt (The King's Knight) in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
Well, congratulations and I hope the book does wonderfully well.
-
Raine replied to the topic Fantasy/SF/Spec fic story list (working) in the forum Marketplace 7 years, 4 months ago
Also, entropy magazine takes eclectic stuff, and very usefully keeps a ‘where to submit’ page for all formats of writing. They update it every 3 months I think.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Reading Times New Roman doc on screen in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 4 months ago
I guess not. Google “troubleshooting font problems in word”, you should find this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/918791/overview-of-fonts-and-how-to-troubleshoot-font-problems-in-microsoft-w -
John S Alty replied to the topic Reading Times New Roman doc on screen in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 4 months ago
-
Raine replied to the topic Reading Times New Roman doc on screen in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 4 months ago
Hi Jean,
I can’t be much help with this, I’m afraid. I have roughly the same set up, but not encountered any problems with fonts. I wonder if it’s worth running all the usual system tests (full virus scan, defragmenting), or perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling word? Another option might be to upload files into Google Docs and re-save there…[Read more] -
Seagreen posted an update 7 years, 4 months ago
Some of the comments in our SE group have gone into hiding. Can anyone remember what the fix is for this? @athelstone? @jillybean?
-
There should be a little double speech box icon in the bottom right corner of the main post. If you hover over that it should give you the option to ‘view conversation’ and if you click on it should open up the entire chat. If someone has commented on a comment rather than on the main post, you may need to do the same on the comment. Occasionally…[Read more]
-
Fingers crossed the will reappear – same lack on phone & laptop, of both links and double speech boxes.
-
The other thing to consider is that if you repky to a comment, and the author of the comment deletes it, all the replies to that comment will be deleted to.
-
In this case, it’s a writing exercise, each of us posting for others to comment on. One seen and disappeared, the other never seen at all.
-
I’m afraid I have no immediately explanation but I’ll attempt to access it from the back end and see what can be done.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Multiple Den Success in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
Been meaning to do this since it came out… Now downloaded and awaiting the quietness of mind and spirit to enjoy it 😊
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 4 months ago
Child goes away with school til friday.
Me: Yay, long days to write.
Husband: *comes home early wanting to chat*
Me: …-
Husbands…
-
I KNOW!
-
Er, wives…
(ducks and runs for cover.)
-
No, hang on a minute. Why should I? Works both ways, dunnit?
-
Totally applicable to any family member. They should undergo training for being partnered with a writer. Step one, don’t come home early without prior warning!
-
Back in the days when I had a young family I used to do all my writing at dead of night when everyone else was in bed. I particularly remember one summer night when I got so carried away that dawn was breaking before I stopped.
I can’t do either anymore. Write in the small hours (brain turns to mush), or get carried away like that. Sigh…
-
-
-
-
I know, right?
-
-
Same here, I’m afraid: *I can’t concentrate so I’ve come to talk to you*
-
It’s an outrage! And then I have to pretend to be interested in what happened at some meeting! 😱
-
Mine just stomped out because I didn’t stop typing, which didn’t have anything to do with I want to get in with my WIP while interest is still being shown. No, it was ignorance.
-
I have to answer inane questions about what we need from the shops while my MC is hanging off a crumbling cliff waiting for me to find an escape…
-
-
-
-
-
Raine started the topic MIR folktale festival short story comp. in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years, 4 months ago
Just spotted this on twitter yesterday. Deadline end of May, so I’m not sure I can rustle up something in time, but if you have anything folky and summery, then it’s free to enter and MIR seem to be a lovely bunch.
-
Raine replied to the topic Unediting in the forum Blogs 7 years, 4 months ago
Because brilliant ideas might look like plot disasters in draft 2 but then turn out to be actually brilliant ideas in draft 3??
-
Sandra posted an update 7 years, 4 months ago
For those that befriended Sally Hopgood on Jericho’s Townhouse – she is no more. Tried and found wanting.
-
Just as she was growing on me.
-
Oh, heavens! This means I have no friends ๐
-
Just looked for you (on t’house) to remedy this – but no Seagreens were available…
-
I’m there as Jean Hunter, Gerry ๐
-
Aha, found yer!
-
-
-
-
makes her sound like mould … ๐
-
-
Have just sought out Sally Hopgood (on t’house) and found she is not good at hopping-it. Still there it appears…
-
Damn! I’ll have another go at offing her tomorrow. Thanks Gerry.
-
Hey, don’t go – now I know it’s you. Stick around – something might happen. Y’never know…
-
What happened was that the rigmarole of unrecognised password/user name has to be faced again … thanks but no thanks.
-
-
-
-
-
Raine replied to the topic Unediting in the forum Blogs 7 years, 4 months ago
Iโm with @philippaeast on this one. Often if I find myself fiddling back and forward with one thing, itโs because the issue with that bit is actually because of a different bit being wrong. If that makes sense.
But also, yes to @jd73, it can just be about mood & what aspects of the book are at the forefront of my mind during that edit on tha…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 4 months ago
WASTE NOT, WANT NOT (391 words)
Early evening, and the headache that had been stalking me all day slammed into me with the force of a rear-end collision, scattering coherent thought into the ether and making further editing of the new book impossible. I wasnโt surprised by it – the headache, I mean โ the pain in my temples had been building up…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Unediting in the forum Blogs 7 years, 4 months ago
In general,Squidge, although I know exactly what you mean, I don’t. Partly because a lot of the time I am writing ‘badly’ to start with, so much needs to be improved (and the correct word substituted for the one I couldn’t remember – I’m grateful for Emma D’s suggestion of putting then in [ ] so as to later find.
At the moment, writing a…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
Excellent … your fame is spreading, and rightfully so.
-
Raine replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
This story has just been accepted into the Mechanics Institute Review. Randomly named journal, but I’m pleased it’s found a good home. 😊
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
Just back from Mallorca with lots of new writing ideas. Well, one.
I see we have a few more spammists – they’re getting smarter, using names and not anagrams! -
Raine posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
Went to Stephanie Hutton’s ‘Psychology of Character’ workshop on Saturday. If she does one in your area, I’d recommend it. Really thought provoking and insightful for character development.
I have some work to do… -
Raine replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Yeah, I’d agree, i think the comp works best as a pressure-free place for people to dip their toes in the water or play around a bit. Nice, encouraging comments are a great way of supporting that, but more critiquey comments, although a wonderful thing would perhaps be more useful in the critiquey Forum, or direct posting/messaging, and of course…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
‘Specific questions’? – yes indeed, particularly in the light of the current one – Raine’s saying “Itโll be judged purely on โhow much do I want to read onโ” (which strikes me as a genius note to strike when setting a competition.) Of those posted so far I would say there are those which I am unlikely to pursue, simply because they are not the g…[Read more]
- Load More
