-
HELEN KAMPFNER posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
i’ve just posted a reply but i think it’s gone to the wrong place!???
-
HELEN KAMPFNER posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
How lovely to get back online and read all your news. So sorry I’ve been bad about keeping in touch. Been working like a mad thing – worst school timetable ever (promises to be better next term) and trying to finish the 2nd draft of House At The End Of Time in two and half months. I did it though, and sent off to agents. Will be meeting Hayley…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
In absence
‘Anna’s party’s on the 21st. I’ll stay over.’
Anna. Beth’s sister. She and I had a hate:hate relationship for reasons neither of us ever disclosed to Beth. Beth had sense enough not to ask.
On this occasion my smile was for more than gratitude at her tact. An entire night to myself; twelve plus hours, taking into account Be…[Read more]
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 10 months ago
A wee reminder that the Monthly Comp is sitting waiting for your seasonal musings… Perfect for fitting in between mince pies. Although mince pies are the food of satan, so I’ll be giving them a miss.
-
Raine posted an update in the group
December SloMo 7 years, 10 months agoHad a lot of NoMo here recently. But that was to be expected. And today I have the mini home sick, so am going to attempt to edit against a backdrop of Attenborough programmes!! Actually, despite the painful slowness, I figured out a couple of key plot changes that I think will go miles towards addressing the issue of the final stakes not being…[Read more]
-
Sounds really good progress @raine despite all the frustrations. And every cloud has a silver lining 🙂
-
Well done, Raine. So pleased you have managed to steal back a little space and time for yourself. And thrilled that you’ve untangled that problem of the stakes. That must feel great! I am so sorry about the migraines. I am in awe of how you work despite them. x
-
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 10 months ago
Wow, Sea, the December comp had not impinged at all so I read this not knowing the theme – what stunningly beautiful – crisp and fresh – sensory descriptions, and clarity of insight. Loved it.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 10 months ago
UNTITLED (388 words)
You weren’t coming back. I see that now. But had it really taken a pre-dawn walk on Christmas morning to untangle my thoughts and clear my clouded vision?
Yes, should the truth be told. It had.
I had lain awake for hours – body tired, mind agitated, and senses heightened in the dark. Aware of the warmth of my breath in t…[Read more] -
Raine posted an update in the group
December SloMo 7 years, 10 months agoI’ve a few NoMo days (xmas, health, rubbish stuff), but managed to edit two chapters yesterday and transcribe them today. I am checking my % cut after each chapter, and making a graph. Yes I know. I’m a scientist, don’t @ me, as they say. It’s actually really encouraging, as well as being pretty…
Hoping for two more chapters edited this pm
-
Xmas is not not conducive to writing, Raine, except Christmas cards but it sounds as though you are doing well.
-
Nice work, @raine. That really sounds on track, despite the NoMo days (I’m having a NoMo Day today). I hope overall you aren’t finding the trimming too painful
-
Ooh, graphs. What sort of graph? Yes I had a NoMo day yesterday too, but that’s ok. It’s that time of year after all. ANY progress is a great achievement, I’d say.
-
-
-
-
Raine replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 10 months ago
Well done @stevie! That’s great news, and now get that thing out to magazines – it’s clearly ready to be out in the world!!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 10 months ago
Excellent news Stevie; your writing deserves to be read more widely.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 10 months ago
I came across this piece of writing advice by Sol Stein which appeals to me:
“….be sure you don’t stop the story while describing. You are a storyteller, not an interior decorator.”
Probably a shot across the bows of so-called literary prose. King likes to emphasize this point too, but doesn’t do it quite as succinctly.
-
Raine replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 10 months ago
Just spotted this – well done both @elle and @hilary! How was the launch? I’ve only read out to my writing group, so you are very brave!
-
Janette replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 10 months ago
Many congratulations, Elle and Hilary. Enjoy the read, Hilary x
-
Raine posted an update in the group
December SloMo 7 years, 10 months agoI’ve decided, in light of switching to editing, that I’m to spend 1-2 hours a (writing) day editing, and the rest working on short stories or transcribing. Should help me keep my editing focus, fingers crossed. Did my first two chapters yesterday…
-
I like the plan, @raine. Slow (SloMo) and steady. I’m also switching it up – spending a couple of hours mentally revising elements of book one and then an hour or so sketching ideas for book 2. I switch sides of the table in between!
-
Ps well done on the two chapters. What kind of editing are you doing?
-
Ta. x. Edit is a general tighten up to try to shrink the total. But I’ve also decided to cut out a character who just wasn’t quite pulling his weight. I’m hoping that helps the whole thing streamline, but it makes the whole thing very line-edit level. Tempting, like you say above, to just keep going when there’s time. But I don’t think that would…[Read more]
-
Oof that does sound hard. I know what you mean about changing one thing affecting everything. Sounds like you,are making brave decisions though with the tightening. I hope it is starting to feel more streamlined (streamlined is such a good word. That’s how we want stories to feel, I think. You know, a sort of organic elegance).
-
-
-
-
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 10 months ago
I see we have four new members who could use a vowel or two in their name. What’s that all about?
Anyway, Wlcme! -
Raine posted an update in the group
December SloMo 7 years, 10 months agoGoal of 1k words today have mutated into a goal of just getting through the day in one piece. And possibly printing out an MS. I’ve been told I need to trim it back by 10-15k. Which is a little daunting, and like @philippaeast with her more esoteric edits, I need to make sure I am doing this in short enough bursts that I am genuinely paying…[Read more]
-
I have had to do major trimming in the past, Raine, and actually found it quite liberating once I had got into the right frame of mind.
-
Hi @raine. I feel your pain! Is that comment about trimming one that you have only just received? If so, then it might need a little time to digest. Is it a change that you are, in principle, in accord with? Do you think it’s a case of losing some scenes / a subplot line, or more a case of just tightening everything and trimming words throughout?…[Read more]
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 10 months ago
I can work with that… 🙂
-
Raine posted an update in the group
December SloMo 7 years, 10 months agoSo my aim for today was to post this month’s challenge and get the shopping done. And I have just done both. So now I am covered in cats and physically unable to get myself more tea. *weeps*
Tmrw, I am hoping for 1000 words…
-
Good stuff, @raine! I sometimes refer to those kinds of tasks as “clearing the decks” work. Like, getting that pesky stuff done so that I have a clear run of time in which to get my head down. “Clearing the decks” work is important work, not procrastination, because it’s a means to the end of getting the creative work done successfully. AT least,…[Read more]
-
-
Raine started the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 10 months ago
Ok, so I’m going all seasonal because how could I not? Below are two lists, one of seasonal events/moments, one of items/beings. Pick one from each and do what you like with them. 400 words. Have at it, my lovelies.
Events:
– Lighting the first menorah candle.
– a Christmas eve midnight church service.
– Longest night.
– the hour before dawn on…[Read more] -
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly competition – Nov 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 10 months ago
Well done, Raine.
- Load More

It looks as though you might have posted a comment in the ‘activity’/wall of the main site Helen – did you intend to post it in a separate group? Easily done, the Den’s ways can be a bit arcane at times