-
Seagreen replied to the topic What shape are your ideas? in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
The project I want to do next came as a result of one of the monthly comps – the one Daeds set about doorways. I wrote about twelve pages of notes at the time and added to it at odd moments when things occurred to me – obstacles, dialogue, conflict.
One thing I have learned over the past year, is the part backstory can play in giving my…[Read more] -
Raine replied to the topic What shape are your ideas? in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
INteresting question. Funnily enough, sometimes the first thing I get is the setting. I’m very into the atmospheric setting & its role in the story, so that’s definitely there before I start any planning or research or even think about characters! The other thing though is a pretty formless idea of some sort of ‘issue’ I want to explore. Not big…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic CB Creative in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Wow, well done, Alan. That’s a major bit of validation, and those courses look great. I’ve eyed them a few times, but never bitten, so will be really interested to hear how you get on.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly competition – Nov 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 11 months ago
I’m not sure what fascinates me more – the list of items you came up with or the fact you came up with them when you were caught by surprise…🤔
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 11 months ago
Thank you all for taking the time to post an entry, especially Sandra, who kicked things off (phew!), but later withdrew by reason of unavailability to set the next comp should she win.
Anyway, as most of you know, I’m rubbish at any kind of feedback so I’ll keep this short.
Sandra – strong voice. And some perfect turns of phrase – ‘Like a…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
@KazG & @emmad – oooh, I like the phrase ‘thinker on paper’! That sounds a lot closer to what I do. For all my love of graphs and themes and character outlines, and more graphs, very little of the detail gets decided until I’m in the story. I think it’s a little like my old self’s data analysis process – first you gather all the plethora of…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic When to start querying (submitting) your novel in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 11 months ago
Good article, Daeds. I might try to hunt down the Twitter thread to see what else was said.
I saw someone (Hellie Ogden I think) say that 60% of her submissions either fail to meet the submission criteria (format, genre, basic spell checks etc) or are clearly at way too early a draft to be sent out. I was so guilty of this last with my first…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Red (short story – 2,600 words) in the forum Critiques 7 years, 11 months ago
Hi L,
I think you could trim most of the paragraphs in the first half of the story, really. The Physics thing (tight pants) early on could go, you use this analogy later on anyway. Watching a film at the cinema, that paragraph could be less wordy I think.
And towards the end – “zipped her hoodie and pulled the hood over her head” etc. I know…[Read more] -
John S Alty replied to the topic Red (short story – 2,600 words) in the forum Critiques 7 years, 11 months ago
I think “Spotting an opening…” needs a new para. The lipstick thing is a little over complicated, I think you could shorten it without losing anything.
The “pills like skittles” analogy doesn’t work for me.
“Small-to-medium-time” seems a cop-out, he’s a small-time crook, I think.
“Anticipated to sit..” should be “anticipated sitting”.I’d take…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 11 months ago
Hows the planning going, NaNo Denizens?? I have a title. That’s good, right?
-
Raine replied to the topic Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
Sorry @daedalus – for some reason your latest didn’t appear till after I’d posted the above. Really interesting breakdown there, I’d seen the film, and it came across to me (many moons ago, I admit) as extremely captivating and clever but essentially typical alpha-male adventure type thing. But no! PErhaps I should watch it again to pick up on all…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
I think I do a bit of both tbh. I do plot out the character arcs at the start, but things change as I write (as they do, the wee buggers), so by the end I need to do it all again for my major edit. That’s when Julie Cohen’s post-it notes come into play! I’m basically a walking advert for Julie and Craig.
@daedalus re the tragic/heroic thing – it…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
Also @squidge – The entire universe makes profound and powerful sense when Craig talks!! 😀
-
Raine replied to the topic Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
@richardb and @squidge – I don’t think there’s anything wrong in not wanting to use models like these! I have a penchance for graphs, which is probably ~60% of why I love it! No – I like the tie-in between internal and external, but it’s definitely not for everyone.
@athelstone, yeah you’re totally right, I agree it’s foolish to think that any…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
@katemachon glad it makes some sense & hope it’s helpful! 🙂
@philippaeast that’s so interesting. The thing that’s always drawn me to this model is how it really explores the psychology of the character and how that drives their interactions with the external world. BUt I’d never made the comparison between that and things like the stages of…[Read more]
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 11 months ago
Dara MArks’ Transformational Arc came up in my regional NaNoWriMo chat board, so I’ve posted my notes as a blog to share with them. Nod to the wonderful, lovely and eloquent Craig Taylor who introduced me to this, and who I’d happy adopt. 😀
-
Raine started the topic Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
To allow me to share this wider, I’m posting my notes on the Transformational Arc from Dara Marks’ book ‘Inside Story’.
Here’s the pretty graph itself:
Dara Marks’ Transformational Arc
The Transformational Arc expands/combines the basic character arc and 3 act structures into this:
Act I: Character is in ‘Resistance’ – at the start of…[Read more]
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 11 months ago
Market day in town so I’m off to see what treasures I can find at the book stall.
I’ve rediscovered the joy of real books now I’ve ditched my annoying Kindle.-
Nothing beats a good rummage through bookshops/book stalls, does it? But I confess I do love my kindle very, very muchly. 🙂
-
Nothing can beat the smell of books.
-
Magical, I agree, but then again Pebby’s pie shop in the village has a certain attraction, too.
-
OOOOOh! Pieeees! I am rather partial to a pork pie!
-
-
-
My problem is more with amazon than the kindle per se. I’m happy to read on an ipad, I just don’t want the intrusive presence of amazon.
-
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 11 months ago
Ace! Our very own SloMoWriMo. Looking forward to it 🙂
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 11 months ago
Been doing research for new wip today. Photos of the Llyn peninsula, stats on welsh cob ponies AND OS MAPS YAY FOR OS MAPS
-
I did wonder, many moons ago, when I was thinking where to set a WIP, whether a forum for writers to exchange places might be helpful. I live by the sea in Finistere for example so if anyone ever wanted to set a novel in that sort of environment, I would be happy to send photos and information and when, like now, I am thinking of setting something…[Read more]
-
Can’t help in this instance. You can’t get a lot further from where I live and still be in Wales, isn’t it?
-
Ohmigosh – we went to the Lleyn EVERY year for holidays. I remember having shop-bought Victoria sponge on the beach on my birthday in June… Nefyn, Morfa Nefyn, Whistling Sands, Llanbedrog, Baa-Lamb Beach (our name for it, no idea what it was really called!) Abersoch and Aberdaron… Happy days.
-
I had a holiday there in the eighties, on a farm somewhere near Abersoch and Hell’s Mouth (delightful name – Porth Neigwl in Welsh). I particularly remember the day we went to the pub in the nearest village. I left the wife and kids at a table in the garden and went into the bar to order. There were a good thirty people in that room and a fair bit…[Read more]
-
-
-
I loved reading The Price of Water in Finistere, and had the pleasure of visiting there many years ago. You’re lucky to live in such a wild and beautiful place, Jane.
-
Oh, Hell’s Mouth! We didn’t go there often – saved it for really awful days, but you could lean 45 degrees into the wind and get held up. We used to find allsorts on the beach, washed up. I think that’s where it got it’s name from, cos all the shipwrecked bodies used to wash up there…
-
Just looked The Price of Water up on amazon, @anna. Sounds interesting. I’ll have to put it on my TBR pile.
-
-
Jane I am in and out of the Calder valley area of W.Yorks and thoroughly recommend it as a novel setting – get your Bronte/Ted Hughes/Gallows Pole on, sort of thing. Happy to provide pics, though I am very much a “smartphone photograhper”. As I write fantasy it doesn’t feature per se but it is certainly an inspiring spot.
-
-
Oh, good luck with that one, Raine – I love doing research, but alas can’t help you on this occasion.
I love the idea of a group to share locations though, @janeshuff. I’m basing my wip on West Yorkshire (where I live), namely the 60s era, but am more than willing to share info on my part of town.-
Ooh thank you Jonathan and Janette. I’ll message you with my email address. I’m at the very early stage at the moment.
-
-
@janeshuff, that sort of forum would be great wouldn’t it? Perhaps worth setting one up sometime.
@squidge & @richardb, it’s a gorgeous place, isn’t it? I had a couple of trips there to stay at a residential welsh language school in the most stunning, stark, kind of depressing setting. I love all those abandoned mines/quarrys/houses. Softer than…[Read more]-
It sounds lovely. Good luck with it.
-
-
- Load More
