@admin
Active 3 weeks, 5 days ago-
Woolleybeans replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoIt looks to me as though a timetable including discussion and feedback would be good on all three aspects, if we are going the route of having a timetable in the first place.
For one thing, the writing practice can include the exercises for the craft seminars, or could be some of the ones Andrew suggests but which are not chosen for the craft…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoOk, I can understand that. I guess it’s a balance, isn’t it? Between providing a timetable for those of us who like structure (I prob count myself there), and not excluding people whose other commitments make that timetable unfeasable. … And getting caught in an infinite loop of trying to decide a timetable that fits everyone! … AND not…[Read more]
-
-
Woolleybeans joined the group
Andrew Willeβs DIY MA course 7 years ago -
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoYeah, the time commitment/coordination is the challenge with something like this. I’ve been thinking about how it might work, having jumped in enthusiastically without doing any thinking first! I guess for me, the best way seems to be to look at it as a series of group exercises, rather than a whole MA.
Maybe the way to do it would be if someone…[Read more]
-
-
-
Raine started the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoHere’s the link to the syllabus. When we set up each unit/module, I can post the relevant excerpt there, but this is the whole thing, for reference.
https://wille.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/WilleSyllabusDIYMA2019v1.1.pdf
-
-
OK, I’ve set a group up, as my main wall post will disappear off the page shortly. But I’ve not thought any further than that about how to do things. Jump in with ideas/requirements/etc. π
-
I guess we should have a thread starting with the link to his course. Perhaps said thread to be used only to post relevant links to course material.
-
-
-
Raine posted an update 7 years ago
Anyone seen this? I wonder whether it would be possible to ‘run’ this informally here somehow…
-
Iβm in!
-
Well, the Den has private groups so I’m sure it’s possible. We’re hardly over-using the site’s facilities at the moment.
-
Also, it looks good doesn’t it. What a star Andrew is. Andrew, missed you at York this year!
-
That’s @andrew π
-
Thanks! And thanks for sharing this – do put it into circulation with people who might be interested. And too there are plenty of ways to mix up and adapt what’s there.
And yes – I think the Den could be a great place to set up a critique space. What I’d like is to be able to recommend more places where writers can connect with like-minded…[Read more]
-
Sorry @andrew, I forgot to tag you in. THanks for pointing people in our direction & hopefully we are/can be one of those safe critique spaces for writers. I think your syllabus + a supportive online group will make a brilliant combination. π
-
-
-
-
-
Me too.
-
Certainly the first, writing part for me.
-
Oh gosh. That looks really involved… I don’t know whether I’d be able to do all of that.
-
what a good idea! I’d be keen.
-
@squidge and @sandradavies I’m sure we can set it up so that people are free to participate in the units that interest them, and not the ones that dont. I think there are probably advantages to having a core group that go through the process together, building on what’s been covered. But I also don’t see the point in making it too ‘strict’, or…[Read more]
-
Besides, it’s structured as a full MA (two years of work) so I think most of us would rather take it slow and be free to dip out when RL/other commitments get in the way.
-
Completely agree with everything you say, @raine. Slow and gentle. Letβs have a go and discuss as we go along….
-
-
-
-
-
-
Raine posted an update 7 years ago
Agent did email me. Was very nice, gave me a couple of ideas. FYI the 1-1 was arranged through I Am In Print, who are lovely and gave me a sponsored session so if you are under-repped that’s worth asking for. They’ve a few more agents lined up over the next couple of months so might be worth checking out.
-
Raine posted an update 7 years ago
Was supposed to have a webchat 1-1 with an agent today and my camera didn’t work (new updates I think) so I missed the whole bloody session and am SO frustrated as I was waiting for this to help me decide the way forward with the wip. Gah. Excuse me while I rant/sob.
-
Oh, that’s awful. Have you managed to contact the agent to explain?
-
Yes, and the people who were organising the meeting have also talked to her. She’s going to send me some feedback apparently, but that might take a while and urgh it’s just so frustrating. Plus me messing them around hardly leaves a good impression, does it?
-
Oh Raine. I would be tearing my hair out and breaking things. What a b****r. I bet you were all psyched up for it as well…
-
I don’t know. I wouldn’t hold it against somebody in your position and I’m sure the agent won’t either. I imagine that doesn’t help much though.
-
-
-
Oh no! Blasted technology. Great when it works but a pain in the proverbial when it doesn’t! Hope the agent is sympathetic and you get something worthwhile in the feedback. Sending a hug x
-
Having had a couple of technological cock-ups myself today, you have my sympathy, Raine. Hope a replacement session can be organised.
-
Oh, ffs, what a time for technology to have a hissy fit! That’s awful, Raine, and I feel your frustration … but hopefully (surely) the agent will too. Here’s to the feedback being of the positive kind x
-
Ug! So so frustrating. π
-
-
-
Raine replied to the topic National Creative Writing Industry Day in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years ago
WOO HOOOOOOO!! Will be SO LOVELY to see you @seagreen! π
-
Raine replied to the topic 12 UK Literary Agents Seeking New Clients NOW in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years ago
Thanks @gippsgirl, some of these look like good possibilities. π Good luck if you are subbing to any of them.
-
Raine replied to the topic National Creative Writing Industry Day in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years ago
Anyone thinking of going to this? I’ve booked and would be lovely to see a familiar face or two.
It’s marginally more accessible for the more northerly amongst us, which is fab. -
Raine replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years ago
@katemachon π
@sandradavies yes, that one works better ta! Enjoy the whisky! -
Raine replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years ago
The link isn’t working for me, @sandradavies ??
-
Raine started the topic National Creative Writing Industry Day in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years ago
In Manchester on 1st Nov. 1-1s and some interesting panels.
-
Raine replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years ago
Well done Kate – that’s a wonderful achievement (& will look splendid on those cover letters!). And a fancy evening event too! How exciting!
-
Raine posted an update 7 years ago
Good luck and enjoy to folks heading to York today. Wishing you positive 1-1s and lovely writerly chats.
- Load More
