admin

  • Ahead

    I cannot look ahead.

    There is no ahead. There is only now, and I can’t handle it. He is tearing up the carpet. Chomping the furniture. Treating my arm as a chew toy.

    And he’s there. Always. Always having to be watched. Placated. Fed. I am tiptoeing around the edge of my own life. If I slip I will fall off.

    Virtually the only place tha…[Read more]

  • Jules replied to the topic Publishing Deal in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago

    Congratulations, Phillipa. I’ve loved your short stories so I’ll look forward to your book release 😊

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Publishing Deal in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago

    Superb news Philippa, and no more than a writer of your calibre deserves. It’s really heartening to see Denizens getting good deals. Delighted for you, and can’t wait to see the final result

  • I’d hate to think that, @richardb – the truth is that it’s not that hard to avoid what happened to me. If you pursue the agent route, most of it is irrelevant anyway, although you obviously have to do your research into any agents who offer to represent you. In 99% of cases, just being aware of the possible problems means you can avoid…[Read more]

  • Thanks both. I think I probably did just about everything wrong that I could have done, but that doesn’t excuse the behaviour, or the performance, of the publisher. Caveat Scriptor…

  • Those of you who were on the Word Cloud before it evaporated may remember I had a bit of trouble with one of my novels and was taking legal action to recover the rights. I wrote a blog on it when I was still deep in the midst of the process, and now it is all mercifully resolved, I thought it was time to update. This turned into a mammoth essay…[Read more]

  • Raine posted an update 7 years, 8 months ago

    I need a snow census. Who has snow?
    I am suffering my annual I LIVE IN SCOTLAND AND DONT HAVE SNOW temper tantrum. I live on the coast, sticking out into the north sea, low level. So its a) dry and b) more salt in the air than oxygen most of the time. And c) that is profoundly unfair.

    • Ditto Raine. We live on the coast and snow is a once every twenty year for half a day thing here. Glasgow had snow yesterday though but it melted during the day and I haven’t had an update today.

    • Tiny sprinkling of snow first thing this morning in Cotswolds over a heavy frost. All gone now.

      • About half an inch when I got up this morning. All melted now, BUT I can see the Brecon Beacons from my window, and they’re still covered.

      • No snow (thank goodness). Essex. Had a few flakes last night but they didn’t settle.

    • Got light covering of snow on the Isle of Lewis. Several snow showers but not layering up.

    • You have all made me feel much better! 😂 i will cease sulking! High of 2deg here today but stubbornly un snowy.

    • Not a snowflake in sight apart from myself. However, I do have foxes in the garden who are raising the temperature like billy-ho!

    • I live in the highest village in England and we have a light dusting. However lots of ice – needed to put my foot to the car to open its door today.

      • Just a light dusting here.
        @Janette, do you write Flash fiction?

        • @janette, I had to do some serious door-wrestling too. Whilst thinking ‘how hard can you yank on a door handle before you snap it off?’
          And @athelstone, glad to hear the foxes are feeling spring-like, despite all evidence to the contrary!

        • @johnalty, I do like to write flash fiction, however at the moment I’ve had to put my blinkers on and concentrate on my current WIP as an agent has asked for the full once I do some requested adjustments. Sorry it rules me out of current comps at least, but I’m hoping it will all be worth it.

          • Wow, good luck with that.
            Actually I wasn’t drumming up business for the comp, it was a bit of silliness based on the claim by Flash, in the Peak District, to be the highest village in England.

            • Sorry, John, I should amend my previous statement to ‘one of the highest’, though at 1200ft above sea-level, we’re pretty damned high.

          • Gah! WoW @janette, that is fantastic news!!!! Well done! I’m keeping fingers crossed that she loves it….

      • Woke to a thin crunchy layer on Thursday; mostly gone by teatime. We’re ~ a dozen miles from the east coast.

    • We had a flurry of snow and lots of sleet. I am almost on the beach, and lots of salt on our windows. For a day Ballard Down was covered in snow which cast an unusual light over the bay but all gone in two days. None settled in the garden.

  • Raine posted an update in the group Group logo of December SloMoDecember SloMo 7 years, 8 months ago

    January update from Fife – Last week I thought that a) I’d never ever in the universe get to the end of the huge wip edits, b) not hit the word count target. And c) not get to write a short for RwaV in time. And d) just meh, really.
    But since then, got to end of edits, hitting my word target, and now am mid first RwaV target with DAYS left in…[Read more]

    • Wahey! I’ve been working on RWAV too, today, and it’s started to come together. Got an idea for the sting in the tail, too…

      Feels good to be able to feel a bit of success in our plans, doesn’t it?

    • Yay @raine!! Take all the good feels, that’s several fantastic achievements right there 😘 and another yay for @squidge! Cheering for everyone 😊

    • Well done, @raine! I’m so proud of you, as i know what a daunting task it felt. AND getting that word count down. RESULT! (How do you think you did it, BTW? There might be a useful lesson for all us us about cutting / reducing)
      I know what you mean about how impossible it can seem. I honestly couldn’t see how I was supposed to achieve these edits.…[Read more]

      • Thank-you @philippaeast. It was a good feeling writing that new word count into my cover letter! I did it partly by stripping out a character, which meant a bit of structural shenanigans but did streamline bits of the plot. I also cut out a minor PoV. But a lot came from just line edits, which is quite scary re how much there was that I could cut.…[Read more]

        • Love it! Some big, brave cuts, and then all those little trims of fat round out prose too. And I LOVE a good bit of motivational number crunching!! Well done again. What are the next steps for you, once you are happy with your edited draft?

  • An epic Twitter thread from author Delilah S Dawson on developing an idea. She does a lot of these and there’s always a lot of interesting stuff in them, so she’s worth following if you’re on Twitter

  • Raine posted an update 7 years, 8 months ago

    PSA: from an initial 120k behemoth, I now have a 98k mildly rotund wip. 🎉🎉🎉

  • Well done all! Let’s hope a Denizen wins

  • Raine posted an update 7 years, 8 months ago

    End of first week of term time. How are people bearing up?

  • The TSS Publishing Cambridge Short Story Prize is closing for entries soon, and is apparently short of the number it needs to run the competition. So if Denizens put in an entry, it would surely have a good chance of success, and help TSS make the competition happen. It’s a 2,000-3,000 word limit, so if anyone had any previous Cloud Challenge…[Read more]

  • Good topic John. Will DEFINITELY enter this one (and apols to Raine whose comp I failed to contribute to)

  • I didn’t know about that one – lucky it wasn’t catastrophic. I admit to a fondness for the LMS streamliners, and, contrary soul that I am, prefer them to the much more successful LNER ones. This is partly because I was given a ‘Coronation Scot’ for my train set in my childhood (including a carriage by my grandmother, which I think was the last Ch…[Read more]

  • Raine posted an update 7 years, 8 months ago

    15k cut of a target 20k cut. Still 12 chapters to go and looking very hopeful. I think this merits tea.

  • Guys, I can’t apologise enough for being NINE days late coming back to this. THe holidays were … not conducive to remembering things, so I am sorry for keeping you in suspense (and making January a very brief comp!)

    So… thankyou for managing to fit in writing your entries during the xmas busyness.

    @Seagreen – I loved the tiny details that…[Read more]

  • Fascinating and absorbing stuff as ever, Richard. As well as the wonderful clarity and readability of the technical matters, I find the culture of the railway companies and the way it affected how they ran their services really eye-opening. We have it pretty bad these days, with the worst combination of competition and monopoly, but at least we…[Read more]

  • Raine posted an update 7 years, 8 months ago

    Ah feck and arse. I’m so sorry to have totally dropped the ball re the monthly comp. Had a difficult holiday period and a few things have fallen by the wayside – this included. I’ll read today and announce belated winner later. I might have to beg off the individual feedback if that will delay me further. So sorry folks – was pants of me.

  • Load More