@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
JaneShuff replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 10 months ago
Absolutely @raine. Where does the guilt come from? Because come it does. Every time someone asks me what I’m up to and I have to admit to spending most of my spare time writing but, no, it’s not published. And, yes, I have spent the last seven years doing this. I try to rationalise it by thinking of lots of perfectly acceptable but equally…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff posted an update 7 years, 10 months ago
Has anyone here managed to work out how to type with a cat on their lap?
-
Fraid not. Our cat, though she’s a shameless attention seeker, doesn’t do lap-sitting.
-
It’s ok if said cat doesn’t mind being an arm rest, which one of mine doesn’t. He’s a daft bugger. But I have resorted to the cozy cardboard box next to keyboard option at the moment.
-
The current lap sitter has allowed me to move the keyboard from under her head and use it – although it’s rather uncomfortable (for me, not her). The other thinks moving fingers are an invitation to play…
-
Not without growing your arms a bit longer…
-
Speaking of armrests. When I’m in the armchair reading, and puss wants to be stroked/scratched/ generally mauled about, she’ll come and sit on the armrest. If i try to ignore her she’ll stretch out her front leg and put her paw on my face. if that doesn’t work, she’ll do it with her claws out. I told you she was shameless.
-
Our Timmy does that sometimes, too, Richard. He’s got a stare you can FEEL…and if you ignore it, he’ll give a little ‘mew’ and stretch out his paw towards my face. Glad to say when his claws come out, he usually saves that for my arm…
The teeth he saves for when he’s hungry, and he always goes for the soft bit of my upper arm.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Jules replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 10 months ago
Haha just seen your comment, Ath. 76,000 words so far on NaNo this year – I’m not quite as fast as you’re making out. (Also only 5 books a week maximum, usually)
I think it depends what you write as well. I find urban fantasy is very speedy. Fantasy and historical are a bit slower. Sci-fi is slower to write again. Horror seems to be somewhere in…[Read more] -
John S Alty replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 10 months ago
RL = Real Life
-
Philippa East replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 10 months ago
Oh my gosh, well done guys! Hats off to you. Power to your elbows!!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 10 months ago
I’m way behind – my family invasion came early and is continuing. On a more positive note, it has made me get going on a completely new novel that I’m reasonably happy with so far. I’m trying something I’ve seen recommended elsewhere and not bothering with chapters (yet). Seems OK for now.
I’m doing a weekend away in mid-January (Dunford…[Read more]
-
Philippa East replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 10 months ago
Time to make yourself an outline?
Nice work though on the 16k!!! -
Giselle replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 11 months ago
Hello all!
I thought about doing NaNoWriMo but I don’t have time to write a sentence these days, let alone 50k!
That being said, I need some motivation so I’d love to do a Denizen’s SloMoWriMo – sounds like perfect motivation, and what great people to do it with! -
JaneShuff replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 11 months ago
Yes. Great title. Hope the creative/productive jag lasts.
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Yay! Such a beautiful and chilling story…. well done!!
-
Philippa East replied to the topic What shape are your ideas? in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
Just seen this post…
I too am floundering about in the “half-idea” realms…. I think I usually need two sort of “touch points”: an inciting incident of some kind, but then another event of some kind to head towards in the narrative. At the moment, I sort of just have my inciting incident and not another “way point”. Grrr.
These days, I find…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Setting The Place in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
Very interesting blog, Elle. Place is very important to me when I write and when I read. It’s often the element of a novel that stays with me longest after I’ve finished it. I try to think in terms of how the people in my story react with the space within the scene and what part the place has played in their lives but your list is very helpful.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic TV appearance – Quest, 'Wings of War' in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Just finished watching this. Daeds – you’re a star. The depth of your knowledge and your passion shine through. Plus I thought the programme was a quality production. It told the story in an interesting and engaging fashion, simply enough for someone with no knowledge like me to follow but without talking down and without the endless repetitions…[Read more]
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Titles in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 11 months ago
Glad you guys like it! Thanks again for all your helpful input on this. Titles clearly aren’t my forte….
-
Philippa East replied to the topic CB Creative in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
That’s great, and very exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about book 2.
-
JaneShuff posted an update 7 years, 11 months ago
So, returning to my WIP this morning, I saw that the last sentence I’d written yesterday was – I don’t care if this is a redam. – And nope, I don’t have a clue what I meant…
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Titles in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 11 months ago
Hi guys,
To update: the title Sarah and I have decided on (for now) is….
After We Found Her
What’s in a name, eh?
-
Philippa East replied to the topic CB Creative in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Oh wow, @alanr, that is such exciting news about the request!!!! Amazing. Have you sent it off yet? Whatever happens, I am sure you’ll get some invaluable feedback. Congrats again!!
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
That’s great insight! I guess this is what we mean by the “lie” that our characters labour under. (Their misunderstanding about how the world works and what is needed of them) Our stories will have tragic ends if our characters never learn to see through the lies they are living by.
-
Philippa East replied to the topic TV appearance – Quest, 'Wings of War' in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Fantastic!
- Load More
