Hilary

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago

    Thanks Jill. Yes, it is a big relief.

    I’ve been on blood thinners (apixaban) since I was admitted to hospital. My problem is that the hospital doctors didn’t share any plan for dealing with the existing clots which have blocked two major veins to the liver. I strongly suspect that they were anticipating a worse outcome from the endoscopy and…[Read more]

  • Jill replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago

    Good morning  ~ such good news about no cancer.  I am very pleased for you and can well imagine your relief on being told.

    Now to get the other issues fixed very soon …

    I had blood thinners for 6 months as the Lymphoma had caused clots on my lungs, so perhaps your GP might prescribe those?  Just a thought, as every case is different.  Wor…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago

    I hope that this is a footnote, although I forsee a few more tests from my GP.

    Today I had the endoscopy which I believe some of the doctors in my hospital thought would show cancer. the symptoms were all lined up. There was even consistent evidence from CAT scans and other X-rays. To be fair to them, they never said that, though they always…[Read more]

    • Ath, this is such a huge relief to hear, though I imagine the mindset prepping beforehand must have left you mentally drained. I have polyps and so have to be monitored with colonoscopies every three years – I’m guessing you might be invited to do the same. I hope your quest to find out the cause of the clots and anaemia is soon fruitful and…[Read more]

  • Caution: Stuart’s language isn’t for polite company. The anniversary was my 18th birthday, June 21 1974.

    Stuart’s story

    People call me Plug ‘cos they reckon I look like Plug from the Bash Street Kids I ain’t never seen him, so I don’t know. Stuart’s my real name, and I just done three months in nick for something I ain’t done. Possessio…[Read more]

  • AlanP replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago

    A bit of a close call. I hope the recovery continues steadily. It’s a bugger this getting old, that’s when we mostly get these brushes with danger.

    Anyway, I just thought I hadn’t been here for a while and I should look in. This was up front.  Take it steady and get well.

  • Janette posted an update 5 months ago

    Apologies again that I have been to busy and distracted to participate in the comps just yet. You may have seen on FB that I have now announced the imminent launch of my book The Indiculous Grace Dunn, along with a cover preview and blurb. I’m hoping to launch by the end of May or early June, depending on how smoothly the readthrough of the proof…[Read more]

  • Jill replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago

    Thank you.

    Glad you are seeing progress in several ways.  Long may it continue!

    Will be thinking of you on the 11th.  Jill

  • Bella replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago

    Bloody Norah! (Sorry, Norah.) I have also just happened upon this. How ghastly and scary. Some aspects are all too familiar to me after a 2 week stint in hospital with evil pneumonia a couple of years ago. It’s surprising what a state we can innocently get into with no idea we are quite so ill until suddenly the ambulance has to be called. I’m…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago

    Thanks for the kind wishes, Jill. I know you’ve had your own burden lately, and I was so pleased to hear things were going well. At the moment, progress is good. I’m not using crutches or a frame now around the house and I can make it upstairs 2 or 3 times a week for a shower, all approved by the health visitors. I still have anaemia and run out…[Read more]

    • Good to hear there is progress, Ath, albeit on the slow side. I’ll be thinking of you on 11th May, sending positive vibes.

  • Jill replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago

    I have only just happened upon this.

    Oh my goodness, Ath – what a horrendous time you and your wife have been through.  Sending positive vibes and very best wishes for a steady road to recovery.  Be very gentle on yourselves.  Jill

  • (15th March 1969 Wedding – Songs: Where do you go to, my lovely,Peter Sarstedt and The way it used to be, Engelbert Humperdinck)

    Marie Claire

    The sun filtering in through the yellowing net curtains barely lightens the dim, soulless room, mirroring the dullness I feel inside as I watch you staring at me with blank incomprehension.

    We have lived…[Read more]

  • Sandra posted an update 5 months, 1 week ago

    May’s monthly comp is up – something to inspire lots of you I hope!

  • What I’d like you do for May’s competition  is

    1)  choose  a  significant anniversary in your life:  e.g.  birthday,  wedding, first child: graduation – then,

    2 ) Google the UK Top 10 singles chart for that week.

    3) select two, three or four  song titles  from that list and,

    4) use them (loosely if necessary!) as a basis for  a short story, of…[Read more]

  • Congratulations, Sandra.  Loved your entry, which captured the mind and voice of that little girl so well.    Look forward to your May competition challenge!

    Thank you for the kind comment on my own entry.

    Thank you, Terrie for setting this challenge which stretched creativity to meet the four word inclusion criteria.

    Thank you, too, for yo…[Read more]

  •  

    Thank you , Terrie, both for the challenge and your comments on both my entry and Jill’s excellently crafted, sensitive  story. I’ll aim to set something for June by the end of today.

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    Thanks for all the kind wishes. Please don’t think me rude that I haven’t responded individually. I still find messaging quite an effort. Your words are very much appreciated.

    • Hi! I have been wondering how you are getting on, as we work through our own health issues. Sending best wishes and hoping writing is helping you as it is me. Jill x

    • Improving slowly. Not steadily, but mainly in the right direction. I finally had a chat with my GP where he was a little less vague. He told me that it isn’t something GPs see every day, but in his experience the recovery period after discharge is between 6 months and a year. With some older patients, and depending on the severity of the septic…[Read more]

  • RichardB replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    So glad to see you back, Ath – I was beginning to be afraid we never would.

    And as it turns out, we nearly didn’t. My God, what a time you’ve had. All my best wishes for your continued recovery, and I do hope that the issue still hanging over you turns out to be not too catastrophic.

  • Seagreen replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    What an experience! I’m just glad you’re home and on the mend. Credit to you for maintaining a positive mindset and to Mrs Ath for being amazing!

    Not sure if you know, Ath, but positive feedback for specific nurses ‘Natalie did this, Esme supported me with that’ can be used for their revalidation. Just saying. ☺️

  • Thank you for this Janette; as a Blurb self-publisher , (but not seller), I much appreciate this breakdown of your experiences .

  • Sandra replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    I’ve always found the same, right up to last week with  the theatre nurse who held my hand while my eye was bring anatheasised for an op.  bless him. (all well post op.)

  • Load More