@hilary
Active 3 years, 10 months ago-
Thea replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Oh my goodness, Ath, what a time you’ve had! I am so glad to hear that you were well looked after in the hospital and are now home. Thank goodness for Mrs Ath’s quick thinking!
I hope you are taking things easy and making good progress. It’s great to see you back at the Den. Sending very best wishes for a speedy recovery 🙂
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Honestly, nobody wants to get ill and go to hospital, but I don’t regret having met the staff. From the cleaner who I talked to a lot, to the nurses who tirelessly carried horrible pots away without a single complaint, to the consultant who (I now see) was joking/hinting about discharge when she said, ‘We must get this catheter out, unless you use…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Crikey Moses, William, I’m heart-heartedly glad to hear you are home and hopefully on your way to some sort of recovery – what a torrid time you and your family must have gone through, and thank you for updating us so vividly.
Sendng love and the most healingest of good wishes
Sandra
-
Janette replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Hell, Ath, this is too much for one person to put up with, and must have been (and continues to be) very frightening. I really do hope that the ‘frightening bit’ is treatable, and that you get an upturn in health very soon. Thinking of you loads and sending positive vibes your way.
-
Athelstone started the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
So many people have asked, ‘What’s wrong with you’ and ‘Why are you still in hospital?’, (I’m out now) that I thought a small blog might help. Don’t get me wrong, there are many people, including on this site, who have had worse problems, often for longer. But I’ve never been this ill, so I’ll press on.
In the beginning, at the very tail end…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Untitled
‘Gobsmacked’ the inelegant word that came to mind when I read the letter. What else would you expect , being told your three year-old daughter’s poem had been awarded first prize ? A prize which earned her up to three sittings with well-renowned portrait artist Bernard Broom. Especially when I’d not an inkling she’d written any…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months ago
METAMORPHOSIS
Vulnerable, estranged from her family, unexpectedly out of work and living in poverty in Aberdeen, the Granite City, it was easy for her to understand now why she had been taken in by him. He was extremely charming and persuasive. She’d moved into his luxury apartment soon after their first chance meeting.
The first time he hi…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Thank you Janette – you did us proud with thoughtful comments, and well done for every other entry, all of which fitted the remit much more closely than my hastily-grabbed from a long-ago hidden in the drawer novel.
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Thank you, Janette for stepping in and for your kind comments. (Only bit of reality in mine is that we did get married on The Ides of March a very long time ago and are still here to tell the tale!)
All the other entries were so imaginative, well written and enjoyable to read.
Congratulations, Terrie – yours was very clever and truly mad!…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Simple, I thought – judge a few stories for the March competition while Ath is out of action (Ath, if you’re reading this, sending BIG healing vibes and willing a speedy recovery). But – what a dilemma to be handed. These are all excellent and worthy to be winners in their own right.
But judge I must, as promised, so here are my thoughts:
Jill -…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Janette has kindly volunteered !!
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Best wishes, Athelstone.
Good idea, Libby. Hope someone might take it on.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Having heard Athelstone indisposed again, it’s unlikely he’ll be be judging this any time soon
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Damn! It messed with my formatting 🙁
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
The madness is all mine for thinking I could do this!
All words taken from Rod Judkins’ The Art of Creative Thinking.
DRIBBLES AND SPATTERS
Inner demons
chisel
creative confidence
Ideas so strange
wither.
Radiate defiance
Salvage mistakes with freedom
and
transform the message
Come alive!
-
Janette started the topic A Step Into Indie Publishing in the forum Blogs 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Several weeks ago, I posted that I had stopped seeking representation for my book, Grace (full title to be revealed with the book cover), and go down the Indi path. As a complete publishing novice, my first reaction was ‘where the hell do I begin?’ And, for those others wondering the same thing, promised I would report back on anything I had don…[Read more]
-
Thank you. This is really useful information. It’s a lot of work – hope things move along smoothly for you.
-
Thanks, Bella. Gwynn GB warned it was a lot of work done properly, but to treat it as a business. It seems though, that you don’t escape any of the marketing work if taken on via trad publishing. Yes, let’s hope the work pays off – fingers crossed.
-
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months ago
Not yet mad enough …
Wine-heavy eyes and naked, she was cleaning her teeth in front of the bathroom mirror when he came in through the door behind her. He stood behind her, serious-faced, saying nothing, but unignorably attentive. She finished brushing. Spat, rinsed and spat a couple more times then put the toothbrush back in the glass on…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Madness on the Ides of March
493 words excluding title
All those years ago she had been teased relentlessly by friends about her wedding date, the Ides of March. ‘Beware!’ they had warned her. ‘You must be mad,’ they said, laughing.
But here the happy couple of that March day were, celebrating a Big O anniversary and enjoying a holiday in t…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Congratulations, Athelstone – well deserved. Peeked at your March challenge and looking forward to meeting it. Sandra, I loved your intriguing extract from what I presume is a finished novel or one in progress? Thank you Libby for the February competition which I enjoyed entering and for your kind comments. Very interested in your inte…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
In March it seems that hares go mad. They chase each other, jump and frolic, even have boxing matches. For March, somebody has done/is doing/will do something mad. It might be you, or not – whatever you wish. 500 words maximum please before midnight on 31 March.
- Load More
