Seagreen

  • I wouldn’t want to make this an Eric Clapton debate, but it seems to me that there’s a huge divide between acknowledging an error, and expressing remorse for it. Clapton clearly sees himself as having made mistakes, especially the outburst on stage in Birmingham in 1976, but although I’ve seen numerous purported apologies from him, they all amount…[Read more]

  • Thank you, Ath. Your assessment of my efforts in very pleasing. I did worry that it might be too long, but there are so many interesting facets to the subject, and I didn’t want to leave any of them out. Also, I didn’t know that there was anyone in my potential readership who actually knew and liked Johnson’s music.

    I came to the blues by a very…[Read more]

  • You do write these blogs so well, Richard. This one is the best written and most engrossing take on a musician that I’ve read in ages.

    I have the Complete Recordings. I bought them some years back, not because of my own journeying into blues, but because somebody who did more than my superficial browsing suggested I should. All I can say is that…[Read more]

  • On 23 December 1938 New York’s Carnegie Hall, at that time mostly used for classical concerts, hosted a revolutionary event. Titled From Spirituals to Swing, its aim was to showcase (as its name suggests) the history of black music in America, and to present it as something worth serious listening. It had been organised by the jazz impresario John…[Read more]

  • <p style=”text-align: right;”>Thanks for ordering, Libby.</p>
    Bridport don’t publish online because they publish an anthology – even the ebook is not cheap!

  • Hilary replied to the topic Free book in the forum Podium 3 years, 11 months ago

    Congratulations, Thea! I can empathise with the heartfelt ‘At long last…’ Well done!

  • Some of you will already know this if you hang out on twitter. My debut novel, Sea Defences, is coming out in January and can be pre-ordered from http://www.eye-books.com/books/sea-defences. It started life as a short story in one of the winter challenges on the old Cloud – I think it was the last one that AlanP did. There will be a Book Launch in…[Read more]

  • Two super entries, both darkly entertaining. Perfect for a Halloween mood, maybe.

    Alex, love your dry style. I’ve been in that hotel and ironed that shirt for a meeting. Even drunk those beers. Never been in an earthquake though, unless you count the feeble growling that “hit” the south of England a few years back – much like a truck driving by.…[Read more]

  • Two cracking entries in the monthly comp. Still time to grab that kudos in the half day remaining!

  • Thea started the topic Free book in the forum Podium 3 years, 11 months ago

    At long last, my first novel is about to be published!

    Signum is the first instalment of The Serpents of Caesar historical fantasy series set in an alternate first century Europe – the Roman Empire, but not as we know it…

    If anyone would like a free ARC eBook of Signum, please message me and I will send you the link. It’s FREE for the next two w…[Read more]

  • RichardB posted an update 4 years ago

    This afternoon an email from Jericho Writers piqued my curiosity and sent me to their home page. Scrolling down, I came to the we-helped-these-writers-get-published-so-we-can-help-you bit. Looking through the brief profiles (two of which are of people many here will know well) I noticed that in three cases the person concerned was described as ‘a…[Read more]

    • Libby replied 4 years ago

      Or alumna πŸ˜‰
      Every so often I read a badly written JW message. I think they’re doing stuff either in a hurry or are a bit understaffed.

  • Far TMI!! Our first autumn spider in the kitchen sink this morning (usually they wait until Steve’s away and I’m stark naked before ambushing).

  • October. In the UK and Western Europe, spiders are in evidence around our dwelling places at this time of year. Some believe that the cold weather brings them in, but it turns out they’re just looking for a bit of love and affection. They were always there. OK, I admit it, I don’t like them. Mainly they’re fine. I’ve held a tarantula, and most…[Read more]

  • Thanks for a wonderful prompt Clebs. I thoroughly enjoyed writing my piece and it feels as though it might develop a bit. Plus, you got a pretty wonderful bunch of other entries. Well done all.

  • Well deserved, Athelstone, and thank you Clebs for the topic which at least sent me back to the primary sources to size up the task again. Thanks to all entrants for a feast of post gathering events.

  • RichardB posted an update 4 years ago

    Went to the cattery this morning after returning from holiday to find that our cat had succumbed to kidney failure while we were away. She was a gentle, affectionate soul and much loved. Plus, we both have rather nasty colds. Not the the best homecoming.

  • After a hectic few hours, it was lovely to sit down and read these entries. Thank you all for taking the time to enter.

    Athelstone – I felt very close to your character. When I finished reading I felt very sad.

    Seagreen –  I thoroughly enjoyed this. The final paragraph was lovely to read. Who is Ameilia I wonder?

    Sandra – I found this very inte…[Read more]

  • Clebs posted an update 4 years ago

    The September monthly competition closes at midnight tomorrow.

    I appreciate how busy everyone is but I would love to read other peoples perceptions of what happened after a gathering.
    Clebs

  • Not quite fulfilling the brief but it’s this or nothing.

    The post-gathering I should most like to write the aftermath of, did time and ability permit is the one which took place following the reading of the will of Thomas Hutchinson Goodfellow, my husband’s great-grandfather, following his death in Tottenham in 1891, age 73.
    That it was…[Read more]

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years ago

    Just 5 days left for Clebs’ excellent monthly comp. Thinking-caps and writing-hands!

  • Load More