@admin
Active 3 weeks, 5 days ago-
Raine posted an update in the group
December SloMo 7 years, 6 months agoMorning slomoers. I need a KICK goddammit. Please someone put a knife to my throat or something. I am translating agent/publisher silence into a complete inability to motivate myself and GAH. And now the sun has only gone and come out and I have bulbs to plant so I see more procrastination happening…
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Interview with Fiona Erskine, author of The Chemical Detective in the forum Blogs 7 years, 6 months ago
@s-p-moss It does, doesnāt it? Quite intrigued by that
-
-
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Interview with Fiona Erskine, author of The Chemical Detective in the forum Blogs 7 years, 6 months ago
I should have tagged @bric of course… Sorry
-
Raine replied to the topic Plotting workshop notes in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 6 months ago
I’ve just printed out Annie Neugerbauer’s worksheet to see if it helps me tackle the next round of wip edits. š
-
Raine replied to the topic Interview with Fiona Erskine, author of The Chemical Detective in the forum Blogs 7 years, 6 months ago
Great interview, well done both @daedalus and @fiona. š Can’t wait to see the book in all its glory.
-
Daedalus started the topic Interview with Fiona Erskine, author of The Chemical Detective in the forum Blogs 7 years, 6 months ago
I thought Denizens might enjoy this interview with the author of The Chemical Detective, a thriller due out soon from Point Blank, an imprint of OneWorld. Those of you who were around in the Word Cloud days will of course know that author as Bric. It’s a fantastic novel – go and buy…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Plotting workshop notes in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 6 months ago
Many, many thanks for this Kaz. Multiple lightbulb moments. As Philippa says, it can make a big difference finding a model that works for you (and indeed, different ones might apply themselves better to different works). Iām trying to structure a novella at the moment, which is obviously somewhat different to a novel, and some of the more s…[Read more]
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 6 months ago
There’s an agent I follow on Twitter (and have subbed to, and has expressed interest but gone quiet) who has a lot of shared interest (feminism, birds, fun science) and I would normally ‘like’ a lot of his tweets but CANT because that would be stalkery and weird and it is a DILEMMA!
-
Raine replied to the topic Plotting workshop notes in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 6 months ago
These look amazing, Kaz, what a great workshop it must have been. Thank-you so much for sharing. That might be my day’s reading sorted out!!
-
Raine replied to the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 6 months ago
Oh Squidge, what a nightmare! I’d have been getting panicky too, being lost and in heavy traffic and with a deadline is a terrible combo. Hope the G&T therapy helped and today is devoid of traffic and Coventry. But all that aside, your visit itself sounds wonderful, so huge well dones for that. x
-
Daedalus replied to the topic My Publishing Nightmare ā the story of a book deal gone bad (Part 1) in the forum Blogs 7 years, 6 months ago
So here it is – Part 3, the conclusion of the story of my publishing nightmare, and how I finally recovered the rights to my novel from an intransigent and uncaring publisher. It was financially costly – but not nearly as costly as it might have been, and taught me a great deal about what not to do next time. Final blogpost, with as much in the…[Read more]
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 7 months ago
My mojo has been misplaced. If anyone sees it, please send it this way.
-
A day off needed maybe? A walk? A few moments to remember how wonderful you are and how magical your writing is? Tea? Chocolate? It will return…
-
Both tea and chocolate sound good! I decided to give myself ‘permission’ to not even try to write for a couple of weeks, rather than try and flounder. But I’m not sure that’s a good thing to keep doing as inertia and doubt set in – I know you understand! I’m away to test whether more chocolate is the cure…
-
Time off is good, even if it feels dispiriting at the time. Honestly. My cats are worrying about you and the pompoms.
-
-
-
Sending hugs, shakes, tea, chocolate, sharpened pencils, power ballads, more tea, pom poms, a fluffy cat, sympathy, and faith in you.
-
Hopefully your mojo will be in there somewhere, too. xxx
-
That is the splendidest rescue package ever!! Thank-you! I can’t tell the pompoms from the fluffy cat but I guess I will once I shake them…
-
Hee hee!
-
-
-
-
Hugs and chocolate and inspiration pills being sent over the ether now. Waiting for those replies doesn’t help, does it?
-
-
Raine replied to the topic Warnings in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 7 months ago
Along the same lines, I saw a warning about a competition that was asking for all rights to ALL entries (not just listed ones) with no reversion mentioned. Yeah, don’t agree to that!
I second what @Phillipaeast says – mags/comps generally ask for first publication rights or english language rights for a period between (ime) 3 months to a year.…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 7 months ago
That’s great news Stevie. Wonderful to hear of a RWAV story hitting success so early, it bodes well for the field in general
-
Raine replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 7 months ago
COngrats @stevie – that’s great news, and how multitalented you are! You were super-quick off the mark to get your story in already – I’m impressed!!
-
Jules replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 7 months ago
Congratulations, Stevie. Great news and very well deserved 😊
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 7 months ago
A note to those on submission or thinking of submitting – Agents etc are starting to gear up to the London Book Fair now, so March is a bad time to send stuff/expect responses. They’ll be totally preoccupied with prep, and then the week or so afterwards with finalising deals made there.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Hull Paragon: The Million-to-One Chance in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
Castle class are lovely. My first Hornby train was a Castle class. Wish I could remember which one.
- Load More

Maybe not allow yourself to plant bulbs until x words written/edited? Lx
Morning. FEEL YOUR PAIN. So… what is it that you want to be getting on with?
Oh! That project?
THAT IS AN AMAZING PROJECT, AND YOU NEED TO GET THIS FANTASTIC PIECE OF AMAZINGNESS WRITTEN!!!
It’s never about publishing / publishers. You are a writer. You are an artist. Fuck everyone else. You know you’re calling. Do it because it’s play, it’s…[Read more]
I am liking the Fuck Everyone Else motto! I did some plot editing and then planted bulbs. Today I am going to stare at the next round of paper edits whilst dying of endometriosis. But I will be dying with my special purple editing pen in hand, which totally counts!
Oh, Raine – I feel your pain. Hope you manage to feel more comfortable soon. Endometriosis is a real be-arch! And yay to getting bulbs planted AND doing some writing as well. x
Oh Raine my daughter has endo (we think) and it’s a killer. That, plus writerly lack of mojo, definitely calls for the Fuck Everyone Else approach – henceforth FEE – and gin, and tea, and chocolate. And I just read your beautiful, heartwrenching In the Dark Garden and I am reminded again of your writerly superpowers – even if you’re not feeling it…[Read more]
Henceforth, this is the official Den motto:
‘Itās never about publishing / publishers. You are a writer. You are an artist. Fuck everyone else. You know youāre calling. Do it because itās play, itās creating, because it brings you joy.
Just do it.’
Thanks to @philippaeast š
You’re welcome! *doffs cap*
And I threw a typo in for good measure. Just to prove (kinda) my point.