@daedalus
Active 1 month, 2 weeks ago-
Alan Rain replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 10 months ago
@raine that’s even better – assuming 50k is your target. You’re on track.
Like some others, I can’t write and leave mistakes in. It slows me down, but I’m not concerned. I prefer 25k good words rather than 50k error-riddled ones.And now I have a title for this supernatural story: The Never Never Item
-
Elle replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 10 months ago
Thank you everybody! xx
-
Raine replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 10 months ago
That’s great, @alanr! Hope the flow keeps going. I am in the process of hauling myself over my 25k wall. Getting there, but oof.
-
Alan Rain replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 11 months ago
Not actually doing this Nano thing in a formal sense, but by a remarkable coincidence, I morphed into creative/productive mode early in November. After a slowish start it’s coming together nicely and I have nearly 12k words down. Done 3k today alone.
Will it last? -
Alan Rain replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Good on you, @elle.
-
Alan Rain replied to the topic Setting The Place in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
Agree with all this. Use all 5 senses, and incorporate the sixth.
-
Kate replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Well done, Elle. 🙂
-
Raine replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Well done @elle. Such a sad little piece, and the bird image is perfect.
-
KazG replied to the topic Setting The Place in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
Really interesting, thanks for posting @elle. Place is crucial – for me it’s pretty much as vital as character and sometimes feels like character itself. I can’t write anything half decent without knowing what surrounds us, what the history is, how it has formed and influenced what’s going on ‘onstage’…
-
KazG replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Oh that story is beautiful and awful both, @elle. A well deserved win.
-
KazG replied to the topic TV appearance – Quest, 'Wings of War' in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
I’ve now watched this and it is brilliant. Quality programme, as others have said, and you shine, @daedalus. I was spot on (as @richardb said) when I said I bet you were ‘engaging, knowledgeable and quietly authoritative’, before I had a chance to see it…:-) Really well done! x
-
-
RichardB posted an update 7 years, 11 months ago
Call me weird if you will, but I do love picking a passage apart and putting it back together again, better than before. So satisfying.
-
That’s not weird, Richard. I didn’t think I could be the only one who preferred working with an existing draft to creating a new one
-
Two different types of adventure, I think. I enjoy both but creating a new draft can be like swimming in very rough seas.
-
Definitely. Editing is a craft. Writinf a first draft is an extreme sport
-
I like that analogy. If it’s skiing, then I am currently uphill xcountry skiing, stuck in those parallel ruts and not sure whether they are heading in the right direction…
-
-
-
-
-
Libby replied to the topic TV appearance – Quest, 'Wings of War' in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Thank you Daeds, I really appreciate it.
I’ve found your nonfic book on the Amberley publishing site and will order a copy forthwith! It’s a while since I read a pilot biog or autobiog and am looking forward to learning about Duncan Menzies.
-
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Yay! Such a beautiful and chilling story…. well done!!
-
Thea replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Congratulations, Elle! A really poignant story!
-
Elle replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
My flash “Little Bird” has been published in Reflex Fiction today https://www.reflexfiction.com/little-bird-flash-fiction-by-laure-van-rensburg/
-
Elle replied to the topic Setting The Place in the forum Blogs 7 years, 11 months ago
Glad it is useful.
The workshop was great and organised by Word Factory. I highly recommend them if you’re in London.
After the workshop, some of us stayed behind to discuss what we learned and then after that they have a short story club where everybody read a designated story beforehand and then we spent an hour discussing it. The story this…[Read more]
-
- Load More
