@hilary
Active 3 years, 10 months ago-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for such a satisfactory February topic, Libby, and for your generous appraisal! I loved the other two entries; they could easily have won.
-
Sandra replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Congratulations, Ath – more Teabreak always welcome, and well done Jill for so richly regarding the rules. Thanks Libby for appreciating my desire to take part, but this extract the only one I could recall which specifically mentioned ‘loving’
-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Teabreak in love
Maureen Chapman. No, tell a lie, it was Chaplain, like a vicar. Her name, I mean—she wasn’t like a vicar. Anyway, Maureen Chaplain was perfect from my ten-year-old point of view. But I’m getting all jumbled up about how to start, so I’ll take a breath. See, it really began when the Brazells moved out from next door and the Cha…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 3 weeks ago
‘Snap’ snippet
From the steps of Leith’s registry Office, exceeding the word count and containing expletives, but the best I can do given other demands.
Then, hand in hand, another looking-to-be-wed couple arrived from the rear carpark. On foot and windblown, Well-matched in the scruffiness of their clothes. Even earlier for their ceremony th…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Some very sad news for old Cloudies, which I suppose is most of us. I’ve just heard that Barb (Barbara Dawn Ettridge) died in Australia just over a week ago. Barb was funny, sharp, a great writer, and a good friend. Details are here:…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months ago
Terrie, I had a tricky January but that’s no excuse. Sorry for missing a super monthly comp. Well done Libby, a really great entry. Well done all.
-
-
HELEN KAMPFNER posted an update 8 months, 1 week ago
Hi Janette, hi everyone. So lovely to reconnect. How are you all doing?
-
Hi Hel! So glad to hear from you again! How are you? Are you still writing?
I am starting the self-publishing route for my Grace book after reading up on the Trad V Indie comparisons. Currently awaiting cover design proposals, when I’ll send them my WIP for typesetting. It’s all feeling terrifyingly close, but exciting.
-
-
Jill replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months, 1 week ago
LOVE
399 words
Isabel woke from her nap to be greeted by the sweet scent of freesias. Sunlight was flooding into the bedroom she now occupied in her daughter’s home. Isabel was very old and frail, but still mentally astute and the scent of the delicate flowers which she had always loved set off a raft of thoughts about love.
She associated f…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months, 1 week ago
Congratulations, Libby – I, too, winced but enjoyed the humour in your story. I enjoyed Sandra’s offering also and even picked up a discarded copy of Anna Karenina after the mention, but could not get into it I fear. Thank you,Terrie for setting the challenge and for the kind comments. Mine was fiction but did have echos of much earlier life ex…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months, 1 week ago
Well done Libby, like Terrie my mind was contorting to keep up; the wellies adding much to the scene. And thank you Terrie for a theme which was instantly fulfilled (and I’m still re-reading and finding further inspiration, except I can’t get my head around irony)
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Sweat of the Workers in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
I know that feeling. I was also a government employee who found himself parcelled up and sold to the highest bidder, or at least the one that made the most empty promises and said the things that our betters at the high table wanted to hear. I recall now how our managers queued up to tell us what a good thing it was and, yes, they used that exact…[Read more]
-
RichardB started the topic The Sweat of the Workers in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
One early morning in 1989, about a year-and-a-half after I’d transferred out of the district bus office to become a bus driver, I arrived for work at the bus garage to find that overnight new logos had appeared on the buses. In fact the engineering staff – mechanics and maintenance workers – were still sticking the last ones on. They bore the wor…[Read more]
-
Bella posted an update 8 months, 3 weeks ago
I have just seen a message from the daughter of Mary Walker James on the YWP page on Facebook. Mary died in October. I have a feeling she was a member here although I cannot be sure of what name she went by. Mezz, possibly? )@mezz, sorry if I have got the wrong name.
-
John T replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
We must venture that way. We’re at the other side of Bannau Brycheiniog near Abergavenny.
-
RichardB replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
In the few months since I wrote this blog about ‘our’ pub, the Ancient Briton has won – count them – four awards:
Welsh Pub of the Year;
Welsh Eatery of the Year;
Welsh Gastropub of the Year;
First Place, Welsh Good Food Awards.
As I said before, it seems that the owners, Nils and Emma, are doing something right.
It so happens that we have a…[Read more]
-
John T posted an update 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Happy fairly-new-year, everyone! I’ve written very little in the last three months for health reasons, but I’m slowly winding back up again. I’ve found a (hopefully acceptable) way to take part in September Song, and I’m returning to blow the dust and cobwebs off my WIP.
-
Sandra replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
Fingers crossed, yet another resolution
New book and a new – and very welcome – experience for me: a “How To” write book received as a birthday present which I found many times more compelling, educational; entertaining and personally useful than the many “How To” books on writing I own: a dozen on my bookshelves, and knowledge of one di…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
Winds of Change 460 words
The New Year came in accompanied by a furious gale. Undeterred, Eva wrapped up warm and left her husband sleeping off the New Year’s Eve excesses.
She sat on the bench up on the hill which overlooked the northern town where she had lived all her life to this point. As she mused upon all the happy and sadder ti…[Read more]
-
Janette posted an update 9 months, 1 week ago
Gosh, I almost forgot about the monthly comp, and a worthy winner you chose, Ath. Well done, Terrie, and thank you, Ath, for the prompt. I can’t promise anything in the coming weeks but will try my best in among the prep work for publishing.
- Load More
