Terrie

  • Baz Baron replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago

    Good tip @John T I’ll try that.

  • Baz Baron replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago

    I downloaded a voice recorder app for my mobile so that when I’m out and about finding inspiration on my country walks, I can record ideas that pop into my head and save the mp3 files into their own folder for future use.

  • Baz Baron posted an update 8 years ago

    @raine so, you like Toblerone eh? how about this for an unhealthy snack: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1503633/toblerone-cheesecake – he he he!

    • Raine replied 8 years ago

      Ye gods!
      But…digestive biscuits are healthy too, right?

  • John T replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago

    One I picked up from Brian Keaney at York for intense, magical or transformational scenes (to be used sparingly). Write it as prose, rewrite it as poetry (however crappy) then rewrite it again as prose. The idea is to knock away your own familiar turns of phrase and find a different language. I’ve already tried it in the last couple of days, and…[Read more]

  • Squidge replied to the topic New Blog from Emma Darwin in the forum Blogs 8 years ago

    I did a version of this… Rather than setting myself so many days up front, I just made a grid and marked off one square every time I wrote something. That way, there wasn’t so much pressure if I had to allow myself time off when life got busy or I needed a short break. I always wrote in the date so eventually I worked out that a break of any…[Read more]

  • Squidge posted an update 8 years ago

    You know some of us are having to log in again on the https site? Well, might be worth mentioning it seems to have undone the thing we sorted to stop getting email notifications of everything… So if you’re getting loads of them again, might be worth going to settings to check.

  • Sandra replied to the topic New Blog from Emma Darwin in the forum Blogs 8 years ago

    Brilliant blog, as ever, and I’ve done other 100 days things over the years and can vouch for their effectiveness, but this time I too have novels to edit and to write (and in any case have no need of inducement to write every day)

  • Sandra posted an update 8 years ago

    I’m having a battle with WordPress and my password … hopefully, having arrived here again, I’ll be okay so long as I stay logged in.

    • Raine replied 8 years ago

      Yay! Wondered where you’d gone. 🙂

      • Where has the list of topics gone?

        • I’d rather like to know that too.

          • Raine replied 8 years ago

            Umm, I hadn’t noticed. YOu can see recent topic activity by selecting topics or replies in the drop down menu at the top of this activity wall? Or did you mean in the right hand column? I know @Admin were thinking of tweaking that column to include a list of blogs, so it might be in the middle of a reshuffle?

    • I noticed the list of topics in the forum had gone, but saw I had been logged out, and when I logged back in they were back. Sandra, have you done the thing of logging back in with ‘https’ at the start of the url instead of just ‘http’? May help to clear cookies etc

      • Daeds, I hope I never have to log out again! – bookmark is showing https, but the WordPress seem to think user name and email refer two different people.

        • Yeah, WordPress can be a bit tricky. I have my main WordPress account (which I run my two blogs from) and a separate login for the Den. It seems to work OK but involves a bit of logging out and in again to different accounts. Hope it works ok for you now

    • Jules replied 8 years ago

      Have you changed the Den address on your favourites bar, Sandra? Once you’ve typed it in (or copied and pasted it) as https://www.denofwriters.com you should be fine. If not, let me know. I may be able to help.

      • Thanks Jules and Daeds,
        Den address is correct. I do think some of the problem might be my fault (forgetful of passwords) My main panic was missing out on Ath’s Room with a View deadline, so I’ll sit tight until the 21st at least.

        • Sandra, DON’T PANIC. I extended the deadline to the 30th in the hope that some of our former entrants might find their way here in the extra time.

  • Mad Iguana replied to the topic Festival Dreams in the forum Blogs 8 years ago

    Well done Skylark. So delighted for you! Like everyone else, I wish I’d been there for your speech. But it’s great to see lovely people and wonderful writers getting the good stuff that they deserve, regardless of how long it takes.
    Congratulations!!

  • Mad Iguana replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    This is great, Squidge. Way more immediate and intense – can really feel Tilda’s relationship with the magic and her power. I’d agree with Philippa’s points, but I think it’s great and tight and engaging. I guess from here the question is around how much more exposition you want in this passage and how much should come later.

  • Mad Iguana replied to the topic Hello All in the forum Coffee Shop 8 years ago

    No worries, @Squidge. Great to see people finding the site from wherever they come.
    And Hi Alan!

  • Squidge replied to the topic Hello All in the forum Coffee Shop 8 years ago

    oops – my bad! Sorry, Mad!!

  • That you research meticulously and have a great imagination? 😄

    I thought that was probably the case with the girl’s age, inevitably there are going to be things that have already been covered with an excerpt that starts some way in. Enjoyed reading it, and look forward to seeing more

  • Load More