@seagreen
Active 11 hours, 6 minutes ago-
JaneShuff replied to the topic The ultimate story/narrative arc in the forum
A place for Stupid Questoins 6 years, 2 months agoOoh what an interesting conversation!
I think it’s quite hard (impossible for me) to tailor a novel according to a detailed framework and I will often start with only the inciting incident, the external problem the MC has to fight/solve and the antagonist forces, whether they’re people or circumstances, then let the story develop a first draft…[Read more]
-
Elle replied to the topic My ride so far on the rollercoaster that is publishing in the forum Blogs 6 years, 6 months ago
-
Raine posted an update in the group
CoronaMo 6 years, 6 months agoSo today I wrote lesson plans for a four week writing course I will hopefully be running at Falkland Palace at some point (thanks to @seagreen). Having only taught primary school kids before, I’ll be slightly going to the other extreme audience-wise, I imagine! Likely to feature fewer zombies and superheroes perhaps! Still, it feels quite exciting. π
-
Yay! That sounds fun, and proper writerly work, too. I would do that course in a heartbeat π
-
That sounds fab, @raine! Wish I lived closer, but I’m sure it’ll be a great success. This could be a start of a new opportunity …
-
What fabulous news. The Den is brimming with it at the moment! Youβll be wonder ful!
-
-
-
Kate replied to the topic Mid grade 1st chapter in the forum Critiques 6 years, 8 months ago
Thanks @seagreen, this is all great. I’ll have a think about the save the cat moment and ramp up the fear a bit as a few people have mentioned that. I’ll weed out some of the description as well.
Re the being in the character’s head, and the explanations like ‘standing next to me’, I think you’ve cut to the heart of my question re YA vs MG…[Read more]
-
Kate posted a new activity comment 6 years, 8 months ago
Thanks @seagreen. Iβll post it up tomorrow.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Thank you everyone. And sorry for the delay. Weβre away for a few days from tomorrow and I had quite a few things that had to be done before we went.
A cracking bunch of entries. I hope you enjoyed writing these as much as I enjoyed reading them. As usual I was struck by the many different ways they all responded to the theme.
1) @johnalty. I…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Just reading through these, and much fun it is. π Thank-you all for brightening up my lunch break.
@johnalty – that sneaky wee twist made me laugh. π
@sandradavies – erk!! Love the ‘not fat – not quite – not yet’ line, instant image of the man!
@seagreen – wow, hard and powerful, and I am totally siding with her!
@libby – impressive world…[Read more] -
KazG replied to the topic Class 1: Writing exercise, Squidge in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoOoh me too @seagreen! What are your thoughts on that? Rescue Remedy would be a let down (though probably best for the woman!)
-
Bella replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years ago@Seagreen – I’ve just finished reading the first chapter of Burroway and nearly all of the writing prompts make sense to me (in that I can see how I can write something) but the ‘things I know nothing about’ suggestion has me rather stumped.If I truly know nothing about it (and the Mariana Trench qualifies for me, too!) then what is there to…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic National Creative Writing Industry Day in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years ago
WOO HOOOOOOO!! Will be SO LOVELY to see you @seagreen! π
-
Raine replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 3 months ago
Well, thank-you everyone for entering. I’m so glad I set this particular challenge as it’s been so much fun getting little insights into all your works in progress and I can genuinely say I’d have carried on reading every one of them. They all pulled me right in and left me wanting more, so seriously well dones on lots of good stuff.
Because…[Read more]
-
Raine posted a new activity comment 7 years, 6 months ago
Oooh, but if you have time whilst in edinburgh, we might be able to have a wee writer meet-up!! I’m sure @seagreen will come in (if she is in the UK, obv).
-
Probably a really packed schedule but it would be sad not to fit in a tea/coffee and a doughnut perhaps!
-
Include me too in any Edinburgh meet, please! Bursary sounds fantastic, Raine, best of luck with that, and, Ath, that you’ve a novel ready to go is brilliant. Seems ages since I had contact with writers in person π
-
No York for me, but Edinburgh is definitely do-able.
-
-
Do let me know if you do plan that. I am a flight away
-
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Delilah S Dawson on developing an idea in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 8 months ago
That’s interesting @seagreen. I am still not sure. I don’t think I am but sometimes when I don’t know where something is going, I need to write for it to become clear although what I write at these moments is often utter garbage.
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Guys, I can’t apologise enough for being NINE days late coming back to this. THe holidays were … not conducive to remembering things, so I am sorry for keeping you in suspense (and making January a very brief comp!)
So… thankyou for managing to fit in writing your entries during the xmas busyness.
@Seagreen – I loved the tiny details that…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic NaNoWriMo in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 11 months ago
π @seagreen. Perhaps December could be a Den SloMoWriMo, because December and writing do not appear to ever co-exist anyway!
-
Elle replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 11 months ago
Thanks @Seagreen!
Thanks @Philippa β I was channelling my passive-aggressive self for that line and it just popped out!
-
Alan Rain replied to the topic Opinion about title in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 11 months ago
Thanks for your input @athelstone @seagreen @Janeshuff @kazg @Squidge @elle @Bellam
That 5 of you go towards YA / Children’s and the other 2 suggest SF / Fantasy tells me that the original name is still the one to use, although I will still make a minor tweak to it.
So, yes, it’s a literary-leaning novel about possession, with the MFC split.
To…[Read more] -
KazG replied to the topic New title needed for 'Snatched' – help! in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 11 months ago
You lot are fantastic! Thank you all so much for brainstorming for me π
@seagreen and @janeshuff – I think you’re really onto something there with The Time Stealer/Snatcher’s… and using that to bundle the series together. Going to ponder that.
@jd73 that made me snort – Iron Maiden’s back catalogue π But I love them. And I’m leaning…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Forgot to check in on this – A totally deserved win, @seagreen! π
-
Alan Rain replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
- Load More
